DO: Clean and declutter your home.
– A cleaner house will immediately be more appealing to any prospective buyer coming through the door as well as potentially increasing the valuation given to you by your Estate Agent initially!
– Getting rid of clutter or unnecessary items will make your house appear more spacious and will allow you to show your property at its best to potential buyers.
DO: Give your home a facelift!
– A prospective buyers impression starts as soon as they arrive outside your property, so it is wise to make sure that your front garden is tidy and there is no clutter or rubbish on the driveway. You need to make sure that the viewing starts on a positive note and an overgrown front garden strewn with rubbish is not going to do this!
– Freshening up the interior paintwork can instantly brighten up your house. Patch up any holes and decorate in neutral colours to make the rooms appear fresh and light as well as allowing buyers to imagine their own colour schemes in the property.
DO: Check that everything is in good working order.
– Before allowing viewings to begin on your property always ensure that all light fittings are fully working – it will not be a good first impression if a potential buyer cannot see all aspects of the room because the light doesn’t work!
– Ensure that your Estate Agent has instructions of exactly how to gain access to your property. This may seem like an obvious point but make sure that you pass on any handy tips on how to unlock an awkward door, let your Agent know where you keep the back door key and ensure that the Agent knows how to work your alarm if you have one. Ease of access into a property again always influences a buyers first impression.
DO: Know who your target buyer is.
– By working out what type of buyer is most likely to be interested in your property means that you can present your home accordingly. This will decide whether you will display your spare room as a study, a playroom or a gym etc
– Remember that the value of your home will have a limit based on the neighbourhood. If the average value for a property on your road is £250,000 don’t build a large extension and ask £400,000. Prospective buyers looking for a £400,000 house won’t want to live on a £250,000 street.
It has been widely reported that rental prices are on the increase though the same is true for the level of tenants that fall into arrears.
As a Landlord what can you do to minimise the risk?
• Use an agent that is a member of a professional organisation such as ARLA (Association of Residential Lettings Agents or the NAEA (National Association of Estate Agents)
• Have your tenants and guarantors referenced, this should involve a credit check, affordability check, employment check and landlord reference where applicable
Despite having done all of the above, problems with the tenancy could still occur. If a tenant is made redundant or suffers a serious illness they could be placed in a position where they are unable to pay the monthly rent and fall into arrears.
The loss of rental income could quickly start to mount and become a huge financial burden. The legal process to regain the possession of the property could end up costing several hundred pounds, whilst at the same time the rent is not coming in, and take months to come to an end.
Rent guarantee insurance is a relatively cheap way to help to protect yourself financially and give yourself peace of mind that if the situation arose you could be covered for the following:
• Payment of Rental Payments should arrears occur
• The costs involved in regaining possession of your property
• The costs involved in recovering rent arrears
If you would like to obtain a no obligation quotation from Endsleigh insurance please click the relevant link:
We urgently require 3 bedroom properties on Stratford Drive and Wooburn Manor Park for families looking for catchment for St. Pauls School. We have plenty of buyers looking up to £350,000 who would like to move before the New Year. If you are looking to move now, or in the near future, then please contact Roland White at our Wooburn Green office on 01628 527766.
Well, we are off to a flying start to July, business is great, our new website has now been launched and we have just completed the refurbishment of our High Wycombe office. With our new High Definition LCD TV in our High Wycombe office, visitors will be able to catch up on not only the latest Crendon House news but will also be able to keep an eye on Murray’s progress at Wimbledon!!
Later in the month we will be showing our support for the Olympic Games and showing coverage of the events as they unfold at our High Wycombe office located in Crendon Street. So please feel free to pop in and catch up with our Sales and Lettings teams…..oh, and the Olympics!